Saturday 19 September 2009

To begin with.

Well, I have started a blog and though I am not yet au fait with the mechanics, I will proceed! The purpose of doing this blogging thing is to allow people to keep abreast of our work with street kids projects in the Cape. But I am guessing it will develop a life of its own somehow. Who knows!


Karen and I set off for the Cape in a little over a week. Some are already familiar with our plans. Previous visits have enabled us to establish links with projects that help street kids. In March earlier this year we stayed for a month at the Salesian Institute in Capetown, a place where amazing work is done with scores of young people from schooling to clothing, from feeding to skill training. To learn more about this particular venture have a look at:


http://www.salesians.org.za/Communities.html#lansdowne


Yes, I know. The name looks a little formal, even forbidding. But you know what, the people there are so down to earth and full of warmth. It is a fun place where young people, many of whom have suffered appalling abuse, are loved and nurtured.


There are loads of projects looking after street kids in South Africa. We want to make links with those we can help and get some money to them. Some folk have already made generous donations. We have learned that people who really want to give are really concerned about where their gift will end up. We will make sure whatever is given gets to the place of need. More on that another time.

There are other good people taking part in this endeavour. In the coming weeks I will be penning some short profiles.

South Africa is a place of wonder and contrast. I hope Capewonders will reflect a little of its beauty and its mystery.

4 comments:

  1. Paul and Pat Stephens26 September 2009 at 10:12

    Hi Mike, I don't know if this will work as I am new to blogging too! We are back in the UK as my mother is in the very last stages of her life and not expected to live long. I hope to be able to set up a blog (with our son's help) when we return to Kenya. At the moment we intend to go back on 22/10, but will extend that if necessary. I look forward to hearing more of your ministry there in the Cape. God bless you both. Much love, Paul and Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Mike this is very impressive. I think it is wonderful what you are doing. Being involved with young children so much myself this is a subject I am very interested in. I feel we should educate our privilaged children more often on the plights of these unfortunate kids. I will be following your experience. Love Becca x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cape Town reminds me of something someone once said about its purpose being to confront the fatigued and desensitized Christian consumer with a stark sharp shock, like the 'made-me-jump-again' jolt of the noon cannon boom from Signal Hill. The extremes of inequality,obscene at either end of the range, cannot be ignored in a way they can when our mental horizons stop at the front gate in pursuit of a trivial wish-list blur of the moment's urgent concerns (not), the opiate of drip-feed sport and life imitating 'reality' TV. Thank you for making me so uncomfortable during my short stay with you! Malcolm

    ReplyDelete