Friday 11 December 2009

cain and abel and the man in the bmw

On the way from the airport today, I moved out to overtake a slow lorry on the M65. A driver in a BMW came up very fast behind gesticulating unmentionable four letter words. Funny, isn't it how many foul language gems have four letters. But the really sad thing is the fact that I was able to lip-read them all. I looked at him for a while in my rear view mirror. He was in a rage. Tail-gating me for a few miles, he overtook on the inside, wheeled out in front with all the aggression of a four year old in a playground, finally coming to a halt four cars in front at the lights by the BMW garage in Colne. For a while during this episode I felt he could murder me.

Cain murdered Abel because he was angry. Actually, he wasn't angry with Abel. Abel made the mistake of quietly getting on with being Abel. No, Cain was mad with God. The whole episode is the first expression of sibling rivalry. Got us all off to a great start! Look it up in Genesis 4.

The man in the BMW needs a spell in the city of Cape Town. Every morning and evening during the rush hour, drivers weave in and out of lanes. And mostly to no obvious advantage. Although I did discover it did make a really big difference at times. Fr. Michael of the Institute sagely reminded me that drivers would tolerate any manouvre as long as you gave adequate notice. The traffic flowed and there were no killings. I did wonder today, though, about the guy in the BMW.

It wasn't a young guy wearing a hoody. Or a shaved head wearing one of those caps. The BMW driver on the M65 was at least 70 years old.

Scary.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this blog and for Capewonders altogether - Michael, you write so well. Sara

    ReplyDelete